Harley Qui
I always heard that if your palm is itching that it means money is coming! I just found it interesting. And I want to know some more! :)
Answer
DINING TABLE: when rising from the table take care not to upset your chair, for this is a sign that you have lied at some time during your conversation. Anyone who lies down on a table will die within a year; any engaged girl who sits on a table while talking to her fiancé risks losing him; it is unlucky to change your position at the table after a place has been allocated to you; to place your chair back against the wall or fold your napkin after a meal at a fiend's home will prevent you ever visiting there again (America).
FIREPLACE: a fire that roars up the chimney = an omen of an argument or a storm; sparks clinging to the back of the chimney are a sign of important news in the offing; a sudden fall of soot presages bad weather or a disaster of some kind. Coal (a symbol of fire) is lucky and small pieces were often carried in the pocket. Its use in the tradition of 'first footing' on New Year's Eve is well known.
MIRRORS AND LOOKING-GLASSES: to break one will result in seven years bad luck. Early man, on seeing his image reflected in water, believed it represented his soul and should anything disturb this image then his own life was in danger. Mirrors have always been closely associated with magic. Mirrors are covered over with cloth in the room where someone has died for fear that anyone who sees himself in the glass will similarly die.
STAIRCASE: it is unlucky to pass anyone on the stairs (cross your fingers if you do so). Stairways symbolized the means of ascending to the abode of the gods and it was dangerous to trespass; also, early stairways were very narrow and two people passing each other left themselves open to attack from behind. Stumbling on the staircase is said to be a good omen and may indicate a wedding in the household before long.
UPSTAIRS: do not sing in bath as this will lead to sorrow before evening; any young girl who persistently splashes herself or her clothes when washing will end up with a husband who is a drunk. Get out of bed the right side. The left-hand side is associated with the Devil; but, if you can't avoid it, put your right sock and shoe on first. You will always get the best night's sleep if your bed is positioned in a north-south direction with your head to the south - this will ensure a long life. To be rich, point your head to the east; to travel widely, the west. It is unlucky to put a hat on the bed (America).
HOUSEWORK: china ornaments of animals should never be placed so that they face a door for they will allow the luck to run out of the house. It is unlucky to sweep any dust or waste material directly out of the house, as this will carry the good luck with it. Sweep such waste into the centre of the room, collect it up in a pan and then carry the lot out of doors to avoid any repercussions. A new broom should always be used the first time to sweep something into the house, to symbolize luck. Never buy any new brush in May; as the Romans decreed May to be the month of death:
'If you buy a broom or brush in May
You'll sweep the head of the household away.'
and it was said that to gather broom, which they believed was a magical plant of phallic significance, might well endanger the life of the man who performed the act. The phallic significance is also evident in an English country belief that a young girl who walks over a broomstick will become pregnant before she marries.
A horseshoe, hung above the doorway, will bring good luck to a home. In most of Europe protective horseshoes are placed in a downward facing position, but in some parts of Ireland and Britain people believe that the shoes must be turned upward or "the luck will run out."
DINING TABLE: when rising from the table take care not to upset your chair, for this is a sign that you have lied at some time during your conversation. Anyone who lies down on a table will die within a year; any engaged girl who sits on a table while talking to her fiancé risks losing him; it is unlucky to change your position at the table after a place has been allocated to you; to place your chair back against the wall or fold your napkin after a meal at a fiend's home will prevent you ever visiting there again (America).
FIREPLACE: a fire that roars up the chimney = an omen of an argument or a storm; sparks clinging to the back of the chimney are a sign of important news in the offing; a sudden fall of soot presages bad weather or a disaster of some kind. Coal (a symbol of fire) is lucky and small pieces were often carried in the pocket. Its use in the tradition of 'first footing' on New Year's Eve is well known.
MIRRORS AND LOOKING-GLASSES: to break one will result in seven years bad luck. Early man, on seeing his image reflected in water, believed it represented his soul and should anything disturb this image then his own life was in danger. Mirrors have always been closely associated with magic. Mirrors are covered over with cloth in the room where someone has died for fear that anyone who sees himself in the glass will similarly die.
STAIRCASE: it is unlucky to pass anyone on the stairs (cross your fingers if you do so). Stairways symbolized the means of ascending to the abode of the gods and it was dangerous to trespass; also, early stairways were very narrow and two people passing each other left themselves open to attack from behind. Stumbling on the staircase is said to be a good omen and may indicate a wedding in the household before long.
UPSTAIRS: do not sing in bath as this will lead to sorrow before evening; any young girl who persistently splashes herself or her clothes when washing will end up with a husband who is a drunk. Get out of bed the right side. The left-hand side is associated with the Devil; but, if you can't avoid it, put your right sock and shoe on first. You will always get the best night's sleep if your bed is positioned in a north-south direction with your head to the south - this will ensure a long life. To be rich, point your head to the east; to travel widely, the west. It is unlucky to put a hat on the bed (America).
HOUSEWORK: china ornaments of animals should never be placed so that they face a door for they will allow the luck to run out of the house. It is unlucky to sweep any dust or waste material directly out of the house, as this will carry the good luck with it. Sweep such waste into the centre of the room, collect it up in a pan and then carry the lot out of doors to avoid any repercussions. A new broom should always be used the first time to sweep something into the house, to symbolize luck. Never buy any new brush in May; as the Romans decreed May to be the month of death:
'If you buy a broom or brush in May
You'll sweep the head of the household away.'
and it was said that to gather broom, which they believed was a magical plant of phallic significance, might well endanger the life of the man who performed the act. The phallic significance is also evident in an English country belief that a young girl who walks over a broomstick will become pregnant before she marries.
A horseshoe, hung above the doorway, will bring good luck to a home. In most of Europe protective horseshoes are placed in a downward facing position, but in some parts of Ireland and Britain people believe that the shoes must be turned upward or "the luck will run out."
Read and tell me what you think please?
HorseOrThe
So. Basically Thomas has been told to look after Augusta for how ever long it will take to catch this killer who is after Augusta. And I can't really tell you more than that. I just want to know what you think about my writing? Be nice, I know for a fact it isn't perfect. Sorry it is so long. And I have jumped into it, it is about chapter 3 and around the page of 38. So, it's sort of far. And I am taking it nice and slow. // outside of a sentence is when it's her thoughts. I may have missed some though.
-
Augusta Bloom â Thomas Jackson was assigned to apparently keep an eye on me, I just hoped he wouldn't get in the way of what I had planned, which was actually nothing. He was walking around the living room, looking around at or for something. I poked my head around the corner of the kitchen wall separating that from the living room. He was tall and skinny but had muscle, his hair was curly, long and brown, his eyes were also brown, but lighter. He wore tight, black jeans, I hadn't thought you could wear something like that, I would have thought they would just wear suites. But he had a work t-shirt on underneath a suite jacket, and he wore boots, the laces were loosely done. He had style with how he dressed and talked I gave him that.
I wanted so badly to say something, to start some sort of conversation but if I did find one â with a miracle â I doubt that it would have stuck long. I stepped into the room and said without thinking, âHow long will you be here? Like all day and night?â
He spun around and smiled at me. âOnly if you're ok with that. It would be nice to have you alive before and after we arrest him.â I nodded. He had a tan, a tan that completed his looks. âAre you alright?â /Stop looking at the handsome man/. I smiled like a dork and went back into the kitchen. There was nothing to do, no dishes, no cleaning anywhere in the apartment and if I wanted to cook something I would have to have gone to the shops. I wanted to know something about the man who was as he said my 'personal body guard', who would be staying and sleeping in my home. I walked back out into the lounge room and sat down, cross-legged on the couch and looked up at Thomas Jackson.
I had noticed that he had an Irish accent. âAre you from Ireland?â I asked.
He put his hands in his pockets and leaned up against the wall. âYeah.â He said, âI moved here when I was ten.â
âI always wanted to go to Ireland.â I smiled slightly. âMy aunt went there a few years ago, she loved it.â Thomas went to the dining table and pulled out a chair, as he sat I said, âWhat's it like over there, my aunt said it was really cold but very beautiful.â I picked up the pillow next to me and pressed it to my chest.
âWell. It is cold over there. And really something.â I loved his accent, I all together loved Irish accents, they were really sexy, especially with a very good-looking man. It surprised me how strong his accent was from how long ago he had left Ireland. âHave you been back ever since?â I asked. Thomas cleared his throat, âI have, but not for awhile now.â He stood from the chair and pushed it in, he leaned on it with his hands on the back.
âDo you call it home?â
He laughed. âIs this an interview?â /I love your hair/. It was like he was shielding himself from me, for heaven knows why. He looked over his shoulder to read the clock, âWhere'll I be sleeping? If I am staying here.â He looked back to me. âIt's up to you, of course.â I smiled. /This will be interesting/.
âCourse you can stay. It's not as if I could just kick you out, right?â
âProbably not the best idea.â I gave him a questioning look. âMy boss, Sara, she'll enjoy straggling me to death if you kicked me out, because I couldn't tell her you decided to kick me out. So. I would have to tell her that I wanted to leave, and to get someone else.â
âHmm . . . â I didn't quite understand what he had just told me, I went back to his last question, âYou can sleep here, or in a chair, if you're that committed to guarding me.â
âHow would sleeping in a chair help guard you exactly?â I bit my lip. âBecause, the chair is in my room, and if you sleep there you'll be . . . guarding me.â I told him as I stood and threw the pillow back on the couch. Thomas smirked. /Glad you don't disagree with me/. I waited a moment for him to say something, but when he didn't I walked down the hall to my bedroom and went to the window.
Thanks.
Answer
I really like your style of writing, and this little excerpt is interesting in itself. I only found two little mistakes.
You spelled Suit Jacket wrong... :)
And towards the bottom Augusta says "Course you can stay." Was that just slang of "Of course you can stay"? Not really a problem.
And then the talking after that confused me: "My boss, Sara, she'll enjoy straggling me to death if you kicked me out, because I couldn't tell her you decided to kick me out. So. I would have to tell her that I wanted to leave, and to get someone else.â
It's kind of overlapped and I can't tell exactly what Thomas is saying (If it is Thomas speaking).
Good luck with the rest of your story!
I really like your style of writing, and this little excerpt is interesting in itself. I only found two little mistakes.
You spelled Suit Jacket wrong... :)
And towards the bottom Augusta says "Course you can stay." Was that just slang of "Of course you can stay"? Not really a problem.
And then the talking after that confused me: "My boss, Sara, she'll enjoy straggling me to death if you kicked me out, because I couldn't tell her you decided to kick me out. So. I would have to tell her that I wanted to leave, and to get someone else.â
It's kind of overlapped and I can't tell exactly what Thomas is saying (If it is Thomas speaking).
Good luck with the rest of your story!
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar