Q. I just moved into a new apartment. I'm single, young 20's and make some pretty good coin. I know I could buy something more classy than a folding table and folding chairs to use in my dining area, but I also have student loans to pay back and plan on relocating a bit in the future.
I guess my logic is that folding chairs and tables are durable, easy to move, and more practical than real furniture. Let me know if this sounds cheap or tacky, I don't want dates to think I'm cheap or anything (I'm not, I'm just practical).
Please advise, I appreciate your thoughts.
I guess my logic is that folding chairs and tables are durable, easy to move, and more practical than real furniture. Let me know if this sounds cheap or tacky, I don't want dates to think I'm cheap or anything (I'm not, I'm just practical).
Please advise, I appreciate your thoughts.
Answer
Well, there are folding chairs and then there are folding chairs. Some are cheap and would look tacky in an apartment, some could look pretty good. If you're talking about the kind you might find at a bingo hall, made of plastic and metal tubing, those will make you look cheap. And the kind of tables that go with them are not great to eat from because they are flimsy and wobbly. Someone cuts their steak and someone else's wine glass tips over. If you're talking about folding tables and chairs made from real wood, they can be economical to buy, stylish, and satisfactory in use. If the table top doesn't look fantastic, that's what tablecloths are for. I have a folding table, or rather, a gateleg table, from Ikea that cost me about $200. It folds down, if necessary, to a piece that's table height by 2 feet wide and 10 inches deep. Called a Norden gateleg table. Very solid in use, excellent for a small space, folds out full or just in half. If I hadn't already had some kitchen chairs, I could have got a matching set of table and chairs from Ikea for another $100. In fact, on the Ikea US website you can buy the Ingo/Ivar solid pine table and 4 chairs for $179. Some garden furniture sets are fairly cheap, made of real wood, and could look just fine indoors. I highly recommend Ikea for furniture that is economical to buy, stylish but simple so it blends easily with many decor types, and wears well as long as you buy solid real wood, no particleboard. And assemble it correctly.
I can understand your wish to pay off your loans as fast as possible, but at the same time you also have to invest in your personal life. That's why it's called balancing a budget. If you can do both at the same time, paying off your loans but simultaneously living a civilized life and paying attention to making yourself a nice place to live, that would impress me, as a woman, most of all. You can always explain that this simple furniture is adequate for now and later it will make great furniture in the kids' rooms. Looking to the present and the future, you see.
Well, there are folding chairs and then there are folding chairs. Some are cheap and would look tacky in an apartment, some could look pretty good. If you're talking about the kind you might find at a bingo hall, made of plastic and metal tubing, those will make you look cheap. And the kind of tables that go with them are not great to eat from because they are flimsy and wobbly. Someone cuts their steak and someone else's wine glass tips over. If you're talking about folding tables and chairs made from real wood, they can be economical to buy, stylish, and satisfactory in use. If the table top doesn't look fantastic, that's what tablecloths are for. I have a folding table, or rather, a gateleg table, from Ikea that cost me about $200. It folds down, if necessary, to a piece that's table height by 2 feet wide and 10 inches deep. Called a Norden gateleg table. Very solid in use, excellent for a small space, folds out full or just in half. If I hadn't already had some kitchen chairs, I could have got a matching set of table and chairs from Ikea for another $100. In fact, on the Ikea US website you can buy the Ingo/Ivar solid pine table and 4 chairs for $179. Some garden furniture sets are fairly cheap, made of real wood, and could look just fine indoors. I highly recommend Ikea for furniture that is economical to buy, stylish but simple so it blends easily with many decor types, and wears well as long as you buy solid real wood, no particleboard. And assemble it correctly.
I can understand your wish to pay off your loans as fast as possible, but at the same time you also have to invest in your personal life. That's why it's called balancing a budget. If you can do both at the same time, paying off your loans but simultaneously living a civilized life and paying attention to making yourself a nice place to live, that would impress me, as a woman, most of all. You can always explain that this simple furniture is adequate for now and later it will make great furniture in the kids' rooms. Looking to the present and the future, you see.
whats the difference between a dinette table and a dining table?
peter
I'm guessing the dinette is smaller, but I want to be sure before I buy.
Answer
Ummh! a big difference, anyways to me it is- A dinnette is one you have in a kitchen or breakfast room, simple and does not have to be expensive, A dining table graces a dinning room and is larger , a 6, 8 10 seater , depending on the size of the room and needs of the family-These days its not alawys easy to have a separate formal dinning room as apartments mostly have either an alcove or a space for the dinning section along with the sitting room
A dinning table normally has a display cabinet for your expensive crockery and wine glasses
Ummh! a big difference, anyways to me it is- A dinnette is one you have in a kitchen or breakfast room, simple and does not have to be expensive, A dining table graces a dinning room and is larger , a 6, 8 10 seater , depending on the size of the room and needs of the family-These days its not alawys easy to have a separate formal dinning room as apartments mostly have either an alcove or a space for the dinning section along with the sitting room
A dinning table normally has a display cabinet for your expensive crockery and wine glasses
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar