I want to paint my new apartment, but I need some tips. I've never painted before!?




hahahearts


Firstly, we have sort of seafoam green couches in the living room and the same shade green cushions directly on the chairs in the dining room. What colours would go with this for paint? Any other tips for anything else would be appreciated. We are looking to paint our entire apartment!


Answer
first and most important. check with management to confirm you can paint, and what you must do. it is likely they will want you to repaint the apartment to the original color when you leave. also, VERY IMPORTANT, get the permission in writing. if management changes and you don't have a wirtten permission it could get very expensive. a subsequent manager could have a professional painter repaint and make you pay for it. and be within his rights doing it.


after this is all done you need to go to the paint store and buy blue painters tape ( this is like normal masking tape, BUT it doen't leave adhesive residue and won't take the finish off whatever you apply it to. apartments are usually painted all white (floors/ceilings/etc. this is because it's fast and neutral-this is, also, why management will most likely want it returned to the original color) white is easily covered-especially if you're repainting it white. if you paint the trim another color you will need to return it to the original color-when you approach management tell them outfront that you will repaint everything the way it was before you leave the apartment-and mention that will prevent them having to repaint after you leave. tell them you will patch all holes and leave the apartment ready to rent-like you found it. this will be your best cahance to get permission. this aggrement ( taken by you to management) can then be put in your file-this gets the manager out of trouble. BUTTTTTT get that letter from the manager showing that you had permission to do this!!!
then cover anything you don't want paint on. plastic on the floors windows etc. you might try painting one room or so at a time that will alow you to have a place to move furniture so you don't have to worry about getting paint on it. otherwise, put it all in the cinter of the room and cover it well with plastic/a tarp/something to prevent damage. assume you're going to get paint on everything-so-if it's covered no harm-no foul. put your paint brushes and rollers in trash bags at night and seal them as well as you can-this will prevent you from having to clean them every night. you can use the stuff 3 or 4 days this way before you have to clean-use cheap brushes and rollers-then throw them away when you're finished. you can make a much bigger mess trying to clean brushes and rollers than actually painting. the biggest trick to paint is to try to get the paint spread evenly ( not thick and thin) and two thin coats is better than one thick coat. you can start the second coat when the first coat is NOT tacky to the touch. it will not be completely dry, but dry enough to put the second coat on.

next, have everything you need before you start-laid out ready and at hand-when using a roller try not to go too fast if you do it will sling the paint everywhere-make the first run (when the roller has the most paint in it) pretty slow you will find out fairly quickly how much space you can cover with each roller of paint-then zig-zag the roller over that area-then go back and pick up the paint you left on the wall to cover the area you're covering with that roller of paint.

and last--have fun!!

Do I HAVE to strip furniture before painting it?




Gal from Y


I bought a used dining set this weekend, and I want to paint it. It appears to have a clear coat over bare wood (pale oak or blonde finish). The only part that I can find that needs sanding or stripping is the table top. My question is: Do I have to strip the whole thing before I paint it? If I do, I know I won't ever get it done and we will live with an ugly dining set our whole lives.

I was thinking of sanding the table and chairs to roughen the shiny finish, priming and painting.



Answer
Yes you're right, sand/scuff with 220 grit sandpaper just to roughen the surface.
Wipe down with damp rag/sponge to remove sanding dust.
Apply a coat of kilz primer with foam roller and let cure overnight.
Paint with latex paint with foam roller, let cure 2-3 days before using.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar