How would you describe the furniture styles of the 1950's?







i have to do an assignment on interior home design of the 1950's and a part of it is on furniture. what styles of furniture was there in the 1950's? links would also be appreciated


Answer
Blond living room accesories were popular, for instance end tables and coffee tables (kidney shaped). In the kitchen you might find a lot of of chrome and plastic. The dining room pretty much stayed traditional with quality wood tables and chairs. (at least, that was my experience). There was also a piece of furniture called a 'buffet'...it had a flat top for (I assume, side dishes) and drawers to hold silverware and the like. It sometimes had a mirror backing. I think this piece of furniture was more often inherited rather than purchased.

How to decorate to look like a 1950's malt shop on low budget?




Katy


I'm throwing a 1950's themed mystery party. I have a litmited budget and need halp figuring out how to make it look liek a 1950's malt shop/soda shop for the cheapest amount possible. We already have a counter which will work wells for the bar, but I don't know where to get cheap retro style glasses to serve stuff in. How would I transfor my kitchen/family room into a 1950's style shop? What about chairs? Is ther anyplace to buy cheap stoools that I couldm ake look 1950's? Any tips appreciated


Answer
Well, you say limited budget but mention buying stools, my idea of a limited party budget is about 150, but yours may be 1500. Apart from ebay (and as I don't know where you live I can't research that for you) the only place I can think to get cheap chairs is garage/yard sales, or thrift shops. You can hire them, but that also depends upon where you are, but maybe you could just clear out the kitchen/dining room, add your decorations and use some plain stools?

Having said that I am going to throw as many links at you as yahoo lets me (10), because I don't know your budget, but some things you could do yourself, there must be records at thrift stores you could but and use as decorations? Do you know anyone with retro popcorn makers or hotdog machines or frosty ice makers that you could borrow? I have a retro 50s looking clock on my wall that was $10 from kmart maybe over the next few weeks you could start asking ppl if they have anything 50ish you could lend for an evening? (even the cups/glasses and if you are doing ice cream sundaes that too?)

If you ask ppl to come dressed in 50s attire that will help a lot to finish the look, but also, have a look at the decorations on some of the party sites below, maybe you could make one or two? (apart from the records) and it is possible to find old posters on the web that you could have printed out quite cheaply, they don't have to be full size poster size, in a kitchen/dining room that may look odd, but a few old coca cola adds or movie posters etc should do.

While these things are fun to look at please don't forget to factor in any postage/shipping charges, especially on amazon, if you want one item from someone there, go and see what else they sell, they may have something else you need, so you'll save on shipping by combining it, but a LOT of this stuff you should be able to find at local supermarkets and department stores etc, sometimes until you need it you don't really notice it, so eyes open when you are shopping next! Also shop around, you may find the same items more cheaply on ebay, but if not, try to either get free shipping, or buy as much as possible from one place. I hope this helps and you end up with a great night - without breaking the bank!

I;m going to start with the one single thing I think a 50s party must have and doesn't cost the earth, thats a straw dispenser with straws that look authentic
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=old+fashioned+straw+dispenser&sprefix=old+fashioned+stra%2Cgarden%2C570
Ok, This place has some great soda shop stuff from soda jerk hats to cut outs of bar stools and juke boxes and clothing too, definately worth a look. (if it doesn't take you directly to the 50s page just put 1950 into the search box)
http://www.partymerchant.com/theme_parties.htm
Stools
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Performance-W85010-Swivel-Seat-Bar-Stool/16664935
Large Popcorn Machine
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Pop-Pup-Retro-Popcorn-Popper/22069552
Sundae Glasses
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=sundae+glass&qid=1364926700&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A284507%2Ck%3Asundae+glass&sort=price
Crosley does reproduction phones, record players, radios etc, and even has a mini juke box that plays ipods lots of gorgeous retro stuff - from Target
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=crosley&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_crosley
Malt Shoppe taffy
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sweet-s-Malt-Shop-Taffy-3-oz/22210726
Retro Dinette
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Retro-Dinettes-Retro-Pedestal-Dining-Table-in-Bright-Chrome/14685797
Coca Cola tumblers
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Libbey-16.75-oz-Coca-Cola-Glass-Tumblers-Set-of-12/20742171




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar