Are pastels paintings or drawings?




tlw-artist


I am a pastel artist and I do not call what I do drawings . . .

When you look at these do you see paintings or drawings?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/lefthandedly/100_0440.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/lefthandedly/100_0187.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/lefthandedly/100_1505.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/lefthandedly/5073.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/lefthandedly/e168.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/lefthandedly/6560.jpg



Answer
pastels can be either a painting or a drawing...intent has a lot to do with it...I am a water colorist and if I do a work of art where my main concern is linear excluding color then I would be inclined to say that I have done a watercolor drawing...now if I do a watercolor where I use only value and do not attempt to suggest the light's temperature I feel that I have still done a drawing only now I have added all those subtle steps between white and black ...and then again if I were to work with color and remained linear as with colored pencils and used the different colors to describe value and not temperature I would see my work as a drawing ...only in color...so for me colors intent is the key...when you are trying to express warmth and coolness with color you are painting...yours are paintings...if you want to strengthen the sense of painting become concerned with the images surrounding space to the edge of the sheet and make the image exist in a pastel active space ...allow this space to have as much energy in marks as the subject...hope this helps...to see who is responding to you look at www.whatismineisyours.net

Which is better Oil or Soft Pastel?




Pat Johnso


I want to take up pastels. I have tried oil painting for 3 years. Are the painting techniques very closely related to using pastels? Which would you suggest to try first, oil or soft pastel?


Answer
pastels do not give you the contrast--lights and darks, the same as oil painting.
reg. pastels--soft --are chalky and usually leave a powerdry surface that needs to be spray varnished
when done. a person told me that they bought a pastel painting and hung it--and then it fell off the wall and when it was picked up off the floor--the painting had disappeared and all the soft pastel was in powder at the base of the frame.
i do not think that HARD pastels will do this--they seem less chalky-many pastel artists prefer hard pastels.
as for oil pastels--totally different look when used.
i guess you must go to galleries and see what you like--see the effects.
or go the expensive way and purchase the different kinds of pastels and experiment for yourself...see what YOU like the most.
and do not forget--you have another choice--pastel pencils
Good luck!
(pastels are more fun (to me) on Velour paper--i like that for furry little animals, and also childrens portraits)
sincerely,
KARMAC




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar