Q. I bought a smart low table from Rose furniture & I wanna use it as my dining table.It is just 20" tall.I thought I will use chairpads for seats.But they seem to be too low.Ottomans are too high n too expensive.Anyplace I can get really low ottomans(12") or very thick chairpads.I m on a low budget but I want my dining room to look different.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/c0tintheact/detail?.dir=/fe94re2&.dnm=e104re2.jpg&.src=ph
Check out the pic of my table. Maybe u'll have a better idea
I'm not really into 'making' stuff..I always screw up..I almost lost it putting an Ikea piece together.
How much do u think I shud spend on each ?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/c0tintheact/detail?.dir=/fe94re2&.dnm=e104re2.jpg&.src=ph
Check out the pic of my table. Maybe u'll have a better idea
I'm not really into 'making' stuff..I always screw up..I almost lost it putting an Ikea piece together.
How much do u think I shud spend on each ?
Answer
Why not make plywood boxes at the height that would support the chair pads? That would be an inexpensive solution. Just take four pieces of plywood, attach them together with nails, glue or those metal L shaped joiners and glue or nail a top on it. Then cover it with batting and some inexpensive fabric which you can adhere with glue or staples. Or cover the boxes with decoupaged gift wrap, paint them or even use some of the new elegant patterned contact paper. You can make them 10" high to accomodate 2" chair pads.
A couple of other ideas. Look at children's furniture in an upscale store for chairs. Most chairs for dining come a higher, but perhaps you could find some at the thrift stores that you could cut down the legs without making them appear out of scale. You might also want to check Asian furniture stores in your area as some of their designs are scaled down and the rosewood they use in their designs would match beautifully with your lovely table.
Why not make plywood boxes at the height that would support the chair pads? That would be an inexpensive solution. Just take four pieces of plywood, attach them together with nails, glue or those metal L shaped joiners and glue or nail a top on it. Then cover it with batting and some inexpensive fabric which you can adhere with glue or staples. Or cover the boxes with decoupaged gift wrap, paint them or even use some of the new elegant patterned contact paper. You can make them 10" high to accomodate 2" chair pads.
A couple of other ideas. Look at children's furniture in an upscale store for chairs. Most chairs for dining come a higher, but perhaps you could find some at the thrift stores that you could cut down the legs without making them appear out of scale. You might also want to check Asian furniture stores in your area as some of their designs are scaled down and the rosewood they use in their designs would match beautifully with your lovely table.
HELP! are chair rails in or out,and also, what paint scheme is better?
Q. so, if you dont know what a chair rail is here's a picture....you may have seen it, but never knew the name: http://cdn.mydeco.com/media/data/re_imgs/chair_rail.jpg
anyway, my 13 year old niece wants to paint her bedroom purple, which i dont think is the wisest choice....she will eventually grow out of it. i told her that if she had a chair rail she could do purple on the bottom and a neutral/cream on top. thus, the chair rail...which will both protect the walls, and look stylish.
are chair rails still in style...from WAY back when? now, all i see is wainscoting...which is similar, but not the same.
what is better....purple walls, or cream/purple walls with chair rail?
oh, and yes...she is my niece, NOT my daughter. although, i treat her like she is my daughter....and she always seems to ask me for advice, rather than her mother.
anyway, my 13 year old niece wants to paint her bedroom purple, which i dont think is the wisest choice....she will eventually grow out of it. i told her that if she had a chair rail she could do purple on the bottom and a neutral/cream on top. thus, the chair rail...which will both protect the walls, and look stylish.
are chair rails still in style...from WAY back when? now, all i see is wainscoting...which is similar, but not the same.
what is better....purple walls, or cream/purple walls with chair rail?
oh, and yes...she is my niece, NOT my daughter. although, i treat her like she is my daughter....and she always seems to ask me for advice, rather than her mother.
Answer
I think chair rail is in depending on the room it is used in. Dining rooms and Kitchens are a yes, because those are rooms where furniture isn't against the walls so walls get beat up easily. Home offices because commonly they are used as guestrooms too and most home office/ guestroom combos have couches or futons that are pulled out and pushed in over and over again. Small children's rooms most defiantly because of children playing on beds and pulling things away from walls and such. Now for a 13 year old girl it is extremely iffy because of the age and many opinions shared by said age. If your niece is more of the rambunctious type than a chair rail might not be a bad idea, but if she is more of a calm spirit the chair rail may date the room a little. Ultimately it is up to you, but if it were my house I would say no on the chair rail in a bedroom.
Now on the paint thing.. I say let her do the purple. Chances are if her favorite color has been purple for most of her life it will still be for quite some time. The key is to chose one that is not to light (so it doesn't make the room seem more like a nursery or little girls room) or one that is too dark (that can make rooms seem very small). Most paint stores will give you samples of the colors you like as long as it isn't custom mixed. Chose a few of the purples you like, take them home and paint a small area on 2 walls, one on a wall across from a window so it can be seen in natural light and one on the wall with the window so that you have one with out natural light (it is common for this spot to seem darker). Keep those colors on the walls for a couple days look at them at all points of the day Morning, Noon, and Night because the colors will change with the natural light outside. (A quick tip if you have a few colors that look very similar.. tape the color card you get in the store under the paint spot on the wall) Once your trial days are over chose your favorite and take it to the paint store.
If you do decide to do the chair rail for whatever reason I would do the cream on top and the purple on bottom. It will make the walls look taller. (purple on top will make the walls close in and the ceiling seem low) I also wouldn't paint the rail stark white because it will clash with the cream. I would do like a slight off white or the same color as the bottom portion of the wall.
I hope all this helps. :)
~M
I think chair rail is in depending on the room it is used in. Dining rooms and Kitchens are a yes, because those are rooms where furniture isn't against the walls so walls get beat up easily. Home offices because commonly they are used as guestrooms too and most home office/ guestroom combos have couches or futons that are pulled out and pushed in over and over again. Small children's rooms most defiantly because of children playing on beds and pulling things away from walls and such. Now for a 13 year old girl it is extremely iffy because of the age and many opinions shared by said age. If your niece is more of the rambunctious type than a chair rail might not be a bad idea, but if she is more of a calm spirit the chair rail may date the room a little. Ultimately it is up to you, but if it were my house I would say no on the chair rail in a bedroom.
Now on the paint thing.. I say let her do the purple. Chances are if her favorite color has been purple for most of her life it will still be for quite some time. The key is to chose one that is not to light (so it doesn't make the room seem more like a nursery or little girls room) or one that is too dark (that can make rooms seem very small). Most paint stores will give you samples of the colors you like as long as it isn't custom mixed. Chose a few of the purples you like, take them home and paint a small area on 2 walls, one on a wall across from a window so it can be seen in natural light and one on the wall with the window so that you have one with out natural light (it is common for this spot to seem darker). Keep those colors on the walls for a couple days look at them at all points of the day Morning, Noon, and Night because the colors will change with the natural light outside. (A quick tip if you have a few colors that look very similar.. tape the color card you get in the store under the paint spot on the wall) Once your trial days are over chose your favorite and take it to the paint store.
If you do decide to do the chair rail for whatever reason I would do the cream on top and the purple on bottom. It will make the walls look taller. (purple on top will make the walls close in and the ceiling seem low) I also wouldn't paint the rail stark white because it will clash with the cream. I would do like a slight off white or the same color as the bottom portion of the wall.
I hope all this helps. :)
~M
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar