How do I make my naked apartment look awesome!?




Jayden


There's nothing in my apartment right now. It's super tiny. But basically empty, and it looks boring. My interior designer friends...help me brainstorm? :)


Answer
You are very fortunate to have a '"naked" apartment! All sorts of possibilities are in store for you. I don't know if you will be able to paint the place or not, but if so, paint it all one color. Go for a warm neutral such as a creamy light beige or pale gray, depending on the climate. That way, it will work with everything, and you won't have to repaint when you leave. For heaven's sakes, don't paint it red or neon green or deep purple or something like that. Stick with a pale neutral.

Use multi-functional pieces when you can. For example, end tables with drawers are perfect, as you'll have extra storage. I recommend a glass-topped coffee table for your small space, and a small scale one. Or even two small cubes or a small ottoman that will double as a storage piece. Many have lift-off tops.

Make sure your furniture does not overpower the space. Measure, measure, measure. You can buy apartment sized furniture. I would stay away from upholstered pieces with big, fat rolled arms. They take up a lot of visual space and physical space, too. Go for a small, tailored sofa with small arms and exposed wooden legs. Stay with a neutral color and add some pizazz with throws and toss pillows in bright colors and prints.

Small scale chairs such as Parsons chairs or small rattan or wicker chairs are lightweight and versatile. You can also have some small cubes or ottomans for additional seating, perhaps tucked beneath a console table. I do not have a dining table in my living room; I have a small round occasional table with two upholstered Parsons chairs. They can be pulled into the living area for additional seating if need be. For several guests, I have a set of folding tv trays that can be stored in the closet. You could also have a set of nesting tables that would serve as a side table or an end table as well as tables for snacks, drinks, or casual meals.

Add a mirror or two to reflect light, and be sure to have plenty of lamps. Tall torchieres take up very little space, and some have an additional "arm" on the side that is perfect for reading or task lighting.

Don't go too small with the art work. A teeny picture or print will not have the wow factor of a larger piece. Don't overpower the wall with a supersized piece, but think big when adding a focal piece above the sofa or on a feature wall. Kirkland's and Tuesday Morning, as well as Ross and Marshall's, have nice, big sized pieces of framed art work and ready to hang canvases. I like these especially for a small space. The frame doesn't fight with the subject matter, and abstracts or pieces with large objects are really attractive in the canvas art.

If your apartment is one room, think about sectioning the living/sleeping area with a book case. You could go with either an open shelved style, or one that has a back. The solid back part could be painted a fun color to coordinate with the area it is in, or it could be covered with fabric, mirrors, or wallpaper, etc. Ikea has some reasonably priced pieces that work great as dividers. You could also divide the areas with a curtain or a screen.

Try to have a nice flow and unity in your space. Don't chop it up into little bitty rooms. Make it work by use of color and materials. Your living and sleeping areas should coordinate in color and style.

Keep the lines of the furniture and accessories simple and uncluttered. Think plain, and jazz it up with accessories. Stay away from ornate, fussy and overstuffed pieces.

Good luck. Have you ever looked at the www.apartmenttherapy.com website? They have some great ideas for spaces, and their photos are from "real" people - not decorators or showrooms. Also there is a blog called Shoebox Decor that has some good ideas.

decorating my living space HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!?




Me


I live in a small townhouse. My living room is very small with a "L" shape that flows in to my dining space...my sofa and love seat are both sage green in a "v" shape layout facing my entertainment stand and windows. I have 2 end tables on either side of the entertainment stand. I have a darker grey/brownish wall color. My curtains are black sheer, and my carpet is a creamy beige color, and my furnishings (entertainment stand, and end tables) are all dark hard wood. I dont have a inspiration piece for this room, or much to accent with...just kinda threw the room together. I want it to have some kind of style...or look to pull it all together because it feels like its missing something. i need some ideas for accent colors, or different curtains mabie??...It is the main room in my home, and I want to be proud of it. Do I have too much going on, or can it work? Im up for some changes, Please help!! p.s. i dont have a digital camera, so i cant put pics up on the web. thanks!


Answer
You should definately use red as your accent color. Vases, picture frams, a sculputure or maybe some kind of asian inspired wall art would be good. In a small room, less is definately more. I would try putting a second window treament in addition to the black sheer curtains. I would go with a neutral, perhaps the same color as the carpet so it does not look too busy. You didn't meantion what color your furniture (i.e. couch or chairs) was. If you can, I would slip cover the furniture black and use some read and beige pillows. If you go with a rug on the floor, make it neutral colors, or maybe even rattan or some natural material.

I think asian is the best look for what you discribed. DON'T over accessorize, chose a few accent pieces. The best way to see what you have is to purchase the stuff and try it out, just don't remove the tags and NEVER buy something you can't return!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar