How can I brighten up a large, older kitchen with inadequate windows?

best kitchen tables for small spaces
 on Top 5 Drop-leaf Table Styles for Small Spaces | Overstock.com
best kitchen tables for small spaces image



joe friday


I moved into a75-yr-old bungalow that I love, all except the kitchen. This was my grandparents' home until they passed away, and then a rental property for several decades. The kitchen is very large, with counters,cabinets & appliances in a 'U' shape at the far end, and a large space for a table where you enter into it from the dining and family room. My mother had custom cabinets done by a novice carpenter 20 yrs ago. They're honey oak, but just okay in quality. I'd love to replace them, but it's not in the budget yet. The appliances are at least new & black. Countertops, flooring & walls are dingy shades of beige. There's a set of small windows over the sink that let in the only natural light in the room. There was once a screened porch off the back kitchen door, & a third window in the kitchen by the eating area that let in more light. But my mom had the porch enclosed, so that window now looks out onto nothing. What techniques could I use to brighten this dreary room inexpensively?


Answer
Its amazing what a good faux paint job will do to kitchen cabinets. in my last house I had standard white cabs and was going to replace them. My girl friend said she would take care of it. She painted them this hideous shade of red and I was freaking out but for a second coat she streaked with black and they look just like the best cherry-wood cabinets. (amazing) I also used rope lighting under the cabinets. this provides great highlights to your counter tops and I have found that I like the effect at night as a night light. Its not too bright and yet it allows you to function in the kitchen when the rest of the home is dark..

Look into pop Skylights. This is just a tube that goes from the roof to the ceiling. They let in a lot of light during the day and really light things up without using electricity.
Flooring is easy these days and you can do it yourself. Stick on vinyl flooring is colorful and easy to install.
The counter tops can be done with the same tile to match or a good contrasting color.
If you have one wall that is appliance free and cabinet free consider a bright color. Orange or Red. this will help open the room and cheer the place up.

Or... Mirrors make a room look twice as large and help to brighten as well.

Just some things to think about. Try painting the cabs first. Even white would be better than Dingy shades of Beige!!

If you give me an email address I will send you a photo of the redone Kitchen with the cool cabinets.

What do you think of the prologue for my story?




Luka Salva


I woke up that morning, like I did most mornings, pissed. She was drinking again last night. She did most nights, but last night she was in one of her moods. Instead of feeling sorry for herself and passing out on the couch or at the kitchen table she decided to have a go at me again. It happens often enough Iâm use to it but that doesnât mean it makes me even less mad. Last night, like any other night sheâs in one of her moods, she hit me. God help who ever fucks with me at school today. I hate it when she does this. Iâm not upset because she was drunk or because she put her hands on me. No Iâm angry with myself for being too weak to help her. For forgiving her every time she cries on my shoulder and tells me she didnât mean it and it wonât happen again. Then the next night the same thing happens. I made him leave. He left because of me. She always says the same things while sheâs hitting me.
Not anymore. I wonât let her put her hands on me again. This is the first day of my sophomore year and already I have to go to school with a busted lip. Since I donât work today I will go to Gramsâ after school and see if I can stay with her. She always told me I could come and stay anytime I needed. Iâll go over there and maybe we can work something out to see about getting my mother some help. For now I needed to get up and get dressed for school.
I got out of bed and my shoulder popped as I lifted my arms above my head. I yawned and walked out of my room in my boxers. When I got to the kitchen I spotted her sitting on the floor in the living room of our tiny trailer. She had a bottle of Whiskey in one had and a cigarette in the other. She was staring down at the floor with a blank look on her face. She must not have heard me walk in since she hadnât come over to me crying yet. I walked over to the fridge and pulled out a gallon of milk and then proceeded to make a bowl of Cheerios.
Feeling a small hand on my shoulder I turned around to see her looking up at me with sad brown eyes.
âDev Iâm so sorry! I promi-â She started to cry, but I cut her off.
âYou promise what mom? That it wonât happen again? Donât. We both know it will. Itâs been happening since I was six years old! Thatâs nine years!â
âDevin-â
âNo mom Iâve had enough. Iâm going to stay with Grams for a while.â
âYouâre leaving me too? Dev, honey please donât go.â
âMom Iâm not leaving you. Iâm just going to stay with Grams for a little while. Iâll be back. Iâm just going so we can have a little space from each other. Iâll be back in a few days.â
âOkay.â She said with a relieved sigh.
I finished my bowl of cereal and put the bowl in the sink. I went back to my room and threw on a pair of blue jeans and a white t-shirt, then went to brush my teeth. When I was finished getting ready I hugged my mom goodbye and left for school.
If I would have known what was going to happen when I returned from Gramsâ three days later I would have never left.



Answer
Great hook at the end.

It's okay. I'd leave this sentence. "I'm angry at myself for being too weak." The reason I say this is why I like this more than a lot of abused children scenes is that he's angry. He's not a good little victim, his spirit hasn't been broken by the abuse, he's really, really pi$$ed, and that is a healthy and strong reaction, which suggests to me he'll be an interesting protagonist, one who can meet whatever challenges are coming.

Lots of punctuation problems, but for now, just keep writing. The best time to ask for feedback is after you've finished a whole book, revised it the best you can yourself, proofread it. In other words, several months from now.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar