What did people eat back in Ancient Greek?

dining chairs direct
 on Carey Dining Chairs, Dinette Direct
dining chairs direct image



Nobody_now


I know that the adults basically ate grapes, mutton, duck, chicken, olives and drank wine and all that but what other foods did they eat? Did they have special foods on special occasions? What did the kids eat? (sorry i put more questions in that one question but I couldn't help it)


Answer
The Greeks had three meals a day. Breakfast (á¼ÎºÏαÏιÏμÏÏ akratismos) consisted of barley bread dipped in wine (á¼ÎºÏαÏÎ¿Ï akratos), sometimes complemented by figs or olives.[3] A quick lunch (á¼ÏιÏÏον ariston[4]) was taken around noon or early afternoon.[5] Dinner (δεá¿Ïνον deipnon), the most important meal of the day, was generally taken at nightfall.[5] An additional light meal (á¼ÏÏέÏιÏμα hesperisma) was sometimes taken in the late afternoon.[5] á¼ÏιÏÏÏδειÏνον / aristodeipnon, literally âlunch-dinnerâ, was served in the late afternoon instead of dinner.[6]

Men and women took their meals separately.[7] When the house was too small, the men ate first, the women afterwards.[8] Slaves waited at dinners. Aristotle notes that âthe poor, having no slaves, must use their wives and children as servantsâ.[9]

The ancient Greek custom to place terra cotta miniatures of their furniture in children's graves gives us a good idea of its style and design. The Greeks normally ate while seated on chairs; benches were used for banquets.[10] The tables, high for normal meals and low for banquets, were initially rectangular in shape. But by the 4th century BCE, the usual table was round, often with animal-shaped legs (for example lion's paws). Loaves of flat bread could be used as plates, but terra cotta bowls were more common.[11] Dishes became more refined over time, and by the Roman period plates were sometimes made out of precious metals or glass. Cutlery was not often used at table: Use of the fork was unknown; people ate with their fingers.[12] Knives were used to cut the meat.[11] Spoons were used for soups and broths[11]. Pieces of bread (á¼Ïομαγδαλία apomagdalia) could be used to spoon the food[12] or as napkins, to wipe the fingers[13].


[edit] Social dining

Banqueter playing the kottabos, a playful subversion of the libation, ca. 510 BCE, LouvreAs with modern dinner parties, the host could simply invite friends or family; but two other forms of social dining were central in ancient Greece: the entertainment of the all-male symposium, and the obligatory, regimental syssitia.


[edit] Symposium
Main article: Symposium
The symposium (ÏÏμÏÏÏιον symposion), traditionally translated as "banquet", but more literally "gathering of drinkers",[14] was one of the preferred pastimes for the Greeks. It consisted of two parts: the first dedicated to food, generally rather simple, and a second part dedicated to drinking.[14] However, wine was consumed with the food, and the beverages were accompanied by snacks (ÏÏαγήμαÏα tragÄmata) such as chestnuts, beans, toasted wheat, or honey cakes; all designed to absorb alcohol and extend the drinking spree.[15]

The second part was inaugurated with a libation, most often in honour of Dionysus,[16] followed by conversation or table games, such as kottabos. The guests would recline on couches (κλίναι klinai); low tables held the food or game boards. Dancers, acrobats, and musicians would entertain the wealthy banqueters. A âking of the banquetâ was drawn by lots; he had the task of directing the slaves as to how strong to mix the wine.[16]

With the exception of dancers and courtesans, the banquet was strictly reserved for men. It was an essential element of Greek social life. Great feasts could only be afforded by the rich; in most Greek homes, religious feasts or family events were the occasion of more modest banquets. The banquet became the setting of a specific genre of literature, giving birth to Plato's Symposium, Xenophon's work of the same name, the Table Talk of Plutarch's Moralia, and the Deipnosophists (Banquet of the Learned) of Athenaeus.

Tell me about: The most terrifying Ghost Experiences you have experienced please?

Q. I have seen a few Ghosts and Spirits but I want to hear from you guys on some of the most terrifying Ghost experiences you have ever had. Please include a lot of detail. Please make it as long as possible ^.^ and if you have any photos of what you experienced please share them. I am in a mood for scary experiences. :)


Answer
In 1996 and 97, I lived in an apartment with my (then) husband and newborn son, and our cat. I was a stay at home mom to my newborn. This was in San Jose, California. My son was about 2-3 months old.

The apartment layout was this. You walked in the front door, and entered a very small hallway. Behind the front door was the hallway closet (the front door, when opened, would block access to the hallway closet door). To the almost immediate right was the kitchen, which led into a standard apartment sized "dining" room. From the dining room you could go to the living room. From the entry way, walking straight led you to the living room as well. From the entry way, a few steps forward, to the left was the main hallway. Going down the hallway, to the left was the bathroom, and straight ahead was my sons bedroom. To the right of my sons door was the master bedroom which also had a bathroom in it, so the hallway bathroom wasn't used often, for reasons to come.

When we moved in, I noticed my cat would not go near the hallway closet, and wouldn't go near the hallway bathroom. She would go from the kitchen to the dining room to the living room to hug the right side of the hallway wall to go down to my sons room or my room. I could never figure out why for the first month, just figured it was a cat being weird.

The couch was situated with it's back to the sliding glass door leading to the porch with the tv against the wall that was shared with my room and bathroom. The curtains were most of the time closed, as we were on the first floor.

This was an 11 unit apartment building.

One day, while sitting on the couch (a futon really), watching tv, and holding my son, I saw this mist, that was black or dark in color, going from the hallway closet to the bathroom. I figured I was seeing things, etc. Trick of the light and whatnot.

I saw this more and more over the next month or two. Whenever that mist appeared, I would get angry...but not at anything, just felt very angry. I chalked it up to maybe post-partum whatever, as my son was about 3 months old at this time. It was never directed at him though, and lasted seconds.

One day, I was laying on the couch. My head was towards the outside wall, my feet towards the dining room/kitchen area. My cat was laying on the pillow on top of my head, and my son was asleep near my head in his little bouncy reclining chair. I was watching Home Improvement on tv, Channel 2 out of Oakland, at the time. It was sometime between 5 and 5:30 pm I believe. And I felt something grab my ankle. I honestly thought, at first, that my husband had come home from work early. But he was still at work (verified when I called him at work a few minutes later). Something had grabbed my left ankle. There was no one else that could have done it in the apartment. The doors and windows were all locked.

So there is my experience with that ghost. We had somehow lost my sons favorite binky, and his Winnie the Pooh stuffed animal. when we moved, we found one of the items in the hallway closet, behind a stack of boxes that were placed in that closet the first week we moved in, and were never touched until we moved. We also never used that closet for much of anything other than storage.

I phoned a psychic, who told me that she was aware of the home, and I should do research on what happened there. She also told me she wouldn't step foot in it due to the activity and history. And that I needed to, on a dark night, light white candles and take them to windows, that were to be closed (so the candle wouldn't blow out) and ask the entity to come towards the light, go to the light, and to leave. But she suggested we move.

After we moved several months later, I did discover that a person had been murdered there, and that other people had similar experiences, and one person had something happen that caused them physical harm they claimed.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar